Thursday, June 14, 2007

Session 7 blog.

Technology is great and can benefit all, if only individuals want to use, know, need, want and have the money to use it. Technology can help individuals gather information in a more quick and efficient manner. As a result, individuals are able to multi-task and keep up with the daily needs and demands that society places upon them.

If an individual lacks the knowledge, skills and finance to use, own and access current technological devices such as I-pods, laptops(Notebook), cell phones and PDAS, then they lose out on the benefits that these devices can offer. As a result, individuals who don't own or often make use of current and future technological devices may feel lost and alienated from the" Hi-tech" crowd. But, I think as long as an individual is comfortable with their current use and possession of a particular piece of technology, it should not matter whether they have the latest piece of technology or not. As long as the individual feels that their piece of technology satisfies their physical, social and practical needs, that is what is most important. For example, my home computer has Windows XP and not the new Microsoft Vista. I am happy enough with what I have right now because my current academic and social needs are sufficiently met by Windows XP. If my needs ever change, I will know that Windows Vista or something new will meet my future needs.

I agree with the articles from Session 7 about how technology enables individuals to physically separate from each other. As a result, technology may discourage individuals from physically getting together as a group to discuss things and socialize with each other. This may also discourage people from physically getting together in hearing the voices, thoughts and feelings of each other. Although part of the class requirement is to write daily blogs like this and communicate with our group partners like this, I still enjoy the fact that I am able to physically interact, socialize, see and learn more about my group members and classmates.

As technological devices become more user-friendly for users, I feel that people will be less hesitant about technology and its uses. Although technology enables individuals to easily communicate with each other, I feel that no present and future technology is able to substitute or take over the physical and social benefits that human contact and interactions have to offer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt in that if one doesn't have the latest sotfware or any other technology, they can feel soem what behind. I feel as long as one has enough to be in the loop somewhat then they should be fine. I think they can still interact and socialize with others. I also think that our society is getting so advanced so fast that sometimes it's financially impossible to keep up. I mean it seems like as soon as you buy a computer or some program form the store, two days later there is an updated version and honestly who can afford to keep purchasing these new updates every second.

Just1n said...

Yeah, there is definatly the problem of technology advancing too fast for most of the public to access it when it first arrives on the stage.

I would have to somewhat disagree with your notions that technology separates people further apart from each other. I think this is a narrow view, though it seems most people would support your idea about this. To me, the internet and my interactions with others on the web can be just as meaningful as real world ones, and are much more frequent.